Once upon a time…

Our history

The vineyard of Château Sainte Barbe currently covers 30 hectares, 85% of the vineyard is made up of Merlot, the remaining 15% is divided between Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot.

our strength

Our wealth​

We desire is to offer real terroir wines. So, the only way to do this is to put yourself in danger by extending the ripening period of the grapes as much as possible, even if you do not reach perfect ripening in certain years.

A great wine is obtained by combining elements that we do not control as the climate, and the know-how

chateau sainte barbe, visite vignoble bordeaux


Our soil is alluvial and mainly composed of clay. This offers the advantage of returning the water gradually to the vine regularly but has the disadvantage of being cold which slows the ripening of the grapes. This usually gives fine wines with bright fruit and great power.​


The climate of Bordeaux is oceanic with mild and rainy winters and mild summers. In fact, the Garonne plays a big role here to create a micro-climate even more tempered since this huge body of water acts as a radiator. When it is cold, the temperature is then higher around the Garonne because the temperature of the water is then warmer and otherwise the temperature is attenuated when it is hot.


85% of our vines are planted with Merlot because in order to produce great red wines it is the most suitable variety to maximize this terroir and its climate. However, we have added the following grape varieties to add complexity to our wines: 8% Cabernet Sauvignon 7% of Petit Verdot 3% Cabernet Franc.

The know-how

The vine is a vine that seeks to grow but to the detriment of its fruits. The winemaker seeks to maintain its development so that it improves its fruits. In fact, it's the grape that makes the quality of the wine. We bring a lot of care throughout the 24 to 30 months needed before bottling our wine. Our philosophy is to be the least interventionist possible. For each planned action, we are looking for a real gain in quality.